love stories on film are like cupcakes in my little wanting hands



Real love stories happen when there are no soundtracks, stylists, cinematographers, directors, writers, or producers. Love stories on screen of course have this luxury, so when Garden State came out, I thought... hmmm shit hot lady, cute and funny boy + soundtrack that hit every song that I was digging at that current moment = pure joy.

However, much like cupcakes the joy inevitably dissipates and one is left wanting more sugary goodness. I would run out and buy the soundtrack for 500 Days of Summer, 2009's answer to the optimistic Garden State of 2004...but I already own most of the tracks, weather given to me by loved ones or happened upon, many are the soundtrack of my morning ride to work. I am happy that it has happened again, and I am sure I will love 500 Days of Summer when I see it, then of course crave more sugary goodness....

NY Times writeup describes the film as "a winsome, accessible movie about more-or-less recognizable young people navigating the murky waters of post-sexual-revolutionary, midrecessionary heterosexual attraction has a novelty and a measure of bravery working in its favor, whatever its shortcomings. "

Comments

Popular Posts