The earth moved under my feet.


I awoke at 6:30 this morning, not because I felt suddenly like a morning person, the room was shaking around me. Denmark experienced a little earthquake measuring 4.7 on the Richter scale. It was funny to feel and luckily it was just a wee one, so no damage. A few glasses toppled over and that was about the extent of it in the household.

It made me think of all the quakes Dawn has gone through in Japan and as well Peter in LA. I can't imagine living through them, I am not sure how I would react. I can say, for the little shaking this morning, I stayed in bed all the while and did not think, oh god, I have to take cover, perhaps a bad sign? Not sure.

The only other moving under my feet happened while Mum was in mid wedding cake ensemble years back. Luckily the cake did not topple and Mum did not have a breakdown. All in all, me and earthquakes get on quite well. Hopefully this will stay true for the future shaking that will come in and out of my life.

The image above is from a show I saw at the Tate Modern, called Shibboleth. Here is how it was described:

'In breaking open the floor of the museum, Salcedo is exposing a fracture in modernity itself. Her work encourages us to confront uncomfortable truths about our history and about ourselves with absolute candidness, and without self-deception.'

It was a really intriguing idea, to impact the space and interact with it in the way she did, but I did not confront any uncomfortable truths, except the very pricey cab ride to Notting Hill, sorry Salcedo.

Comments

Popular Posts